A foraging expedition led by expert mushroom hunter Justin Williams, followed by lunch in the forest prepared by Chef Matt Manning
After the success of last month’s One Ingredient Mushroom Menu, Chef Matt Manning and Justin ‘The Mushroom Forager’ Williams have teamed up once again to bring you another extraordinary dining experience – Forest to Fork.
We begin Sunday morning with a bit of mushroom foraging, where mushroom man Justin Williams will lead us on a tour through Newlands Forest while we hunt. Justin has a wealth of knowledge about this fascinating fungi and will explain each discovery in detail, whilst showing us which varieties are edible.
Once we’ve worked up an appetite we will gather around the forest’s fire pits where Chef Matt will prepare us a hearty lunch from the spoils, cooked over the coals and under the trees. Lunch will also be accompanied by wines from Journey’s End Vineyards. Assistant wine maker Mike, will be opening up some Journey’s End magnums to spoil the guests!
We will meet at Newlands Forest Car Park at 09:45 sharp.
Cost: R750 pp – price includes guided mushroom hunt, lunch & wines
Reservations – firstname.lastname@example.org | +27 76 256 8654
- Dress warmly – it’s cold this time of year and we’ll be eating lunch outdoors (weather permitting)
- Bring a basket to gather your mushrooms.
- While we have a professional on hand, please be aware that certain varieties are harmful and nothing should be picked without Justin’s express permission
- Please note that the weather in Cape Town is always unpredictable and while outdoor dining is planned, alternative arrangements will be made if eating outdoors is impossible
- While the idea is to find mushrooms and to use them in the lunch afterwards (very romantic) we can not guarantee their availability. However we will have plenty in reserve as back up.
- Please note that we accept no responsibility for injury or loss.